Update from the British Library
The British Library is committed to support our colleagues in Higher Education as you make the necessary transition to online teaching.
Due to Covid 19, the British Library has had to learn and adapt quickly in a continuously changing environment. This has had a severe impact on our ability to provide as much content through our EHESS Service as we are usually able to, but we have been working hard to improve this. Throughout this period of lockdown, we have continued to supply immediate download requests and have increased our capacity to supply electronic content from partner sites to support EHESS.
When safe to do so, we will re-commence scanning from our print collections for EHESS. During the remainder of June, we will be piloting the EHESS scan from print service with a limited number of customers to assess capacity and the revised workflows. This will help us to understand the service levels that we can support in the future.
Please note that we will be prioritising capacity over speed, and so we will be unable to meet our published 2 day speed of service. This is to ensure that our print collections are handled the minimum number of times by the least number of people to limit risk to staff.
Once our workflows are finalised, and all necessary steps to support our staff are in place, we will look to increase capacity. We will continue to update you as our capacity increases.
Please continue to send us EHESS requests and we will supply from electronic sources where possible. We will send a REAPP response, asking you to reapply at a later date, for any requests that we will need to scan from our print collections
What is EHESS?
We have partnered with the British Library to deliver an efficient, cost-effective and streamlined document supply service for all UK Higher Education Institutions (HEIs): the Enhanced Higher Education Supply Service, or EHESS.
With EHESS, HEIs are able to take advantage of:
- Copyright-fee-paid (CFP) or scan-only options
- Digital Rights Management (DRM)-free material
- Scans of a high quality using preservation-standard workflow
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR) as standard
- Full metadata
- Most scans delivered within 48 hours
What does the service cost?
|Rates from 1 August 2020||Pay Monthly||Advance Payment|
|Born digital||£5.70 plus copyright fee||£5.70 plus copyright fee|
|CFP supply from print||£9.65 plus copyright fee||£8.85 plus copyright fee|
|Outsourced scanning from print||£9.65||£8.85|
*All prices are + VAT. Please note, the minimum deposit amount for the advance payment option is £150.00 + VAT.
How do I get started?
To get your EHESS account set up, all you have to do is return the EHESS Agreement, together with some additional details. Follow our step-by-step guide below:
1. Download and print the Agreement, sign it and email a scanned copy to email@example.com
2. In your covering correspondence, please indicate to CLA:
- Your existing British Library account number (if applicable)
- If you would like to pay monthly, or pay in advance. If paying in advance, indicate the sum to be deposited. Please note the minimum payment is £150.00 + VAT.
3. Please note:
- If you currently have a deposit with the British Library, please contact them to discuss a possible refund. Deposits with the British Library cannot be used against your EHESS purchases.
- If you order your content (CFP or outsourced scanning) via a third party such as the Digital Content Store, you will need to alert that third party of your change to EHESS.
Once we have received your returned agreement, we will be in touch with your account and log in details.
If you want to know more about what EHESS is and how it works, have a look at our FAQs.
Get in touch
If you have any queries relating to setting up your account you can call us on 020 7400 3171
Or if you just want to know more about the service and how it works then contact us