Update from British Library: January 2021
“The British Library continues to provide a reduced EHESS Service.
We will be able to supply content from our electronic stores and scan from print collections based at Boston Spa. Content stored at St Pancras is unavailable until further notice.
We are prioritising requests to support NHS, Public Health and medical research as well as teaching in Higher Education. EHESS will therefore continue to be available to support online learning.
We are operating a skeletal staff, therefore due to the limited capacity our speed of service times may be delayed.
If you have any queries or required further information our Customer Service Department are answering emails but have limited capacity to take phone calls.
We will increase our service provision when it is safe to do so. Please do bear with us and check back regularly for updates and the latest news. You can also follow us on twitter to keep up to date @ondemandBL.
Update from CLA: April 2021
If HEIs wish to pay a copyright fee to purchase digitised extracts where a scan has already been sourced from the CLA Digital Content Store (DCS) or elsewhere, this service is now available from the British Library on a pilot basis until 31 July 2021. Requests should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information can be found here
To support all EHESS customers through the current crisis, we are temporarily waiving the service charge for all copyright-fee paid scans ordered through EHESS. This charge is still made by the British Library, but will be settled by CLA during this time. Charges will revert to normal at the end of the academic year on 31 July 2021.
If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to get in touch.
What is EHESS?
We have partnered with the British Library to deliver an efficient, cost-effective and streamlined document supply service for all UK Higher Education Institutions (HEIs): the Enhanced Higher Education Supply Service, or EHESS.
With EHESS, HEIs are able to take advantage of:
- Copyright-fee-paid (CFP) or scan-only options
- Digital Rights Management (DRM)-free material
- Scans of a high quality using preservation-standard workflow
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR) as standard
- Full metadata
- Most scans delivered within 48 hours
What does the service cost?
|Rates from 1 August 2020||Pay Monthly||Advance Payment|
|Born digital||£5.70 plus copyright fee||£5.70 plus copyright fee|
|CFP supply from print||£9.65 plus copyright fee||£8.85 plus copyright fee|
|Outsourced scanning from print||£9.65||£8.85|
*All prices are + VAT. Please note, if you choose to pay in advancethe minimum deposit amount for the advance payment option is £150.00 + VAT.
Note for existing users: We have recently moved to a new system and the way our EHESS invoices look has changed. These invoices are no longer itemised so they should be viewed in conjunction with the transaction history, which you can view when logging in here: https://accountlogin.cla.co.uk/login
Your username is the same as your email address or the generic email address that was used to set up your login for this service. You can reset your password by clicking on the ‘Forgotten password’ link anytime. If you have any questions on this, please get in touch.
Invoices are issued monthly and include a total of charges for all transactions from the previous month. We can add one PO number per monthly invoice.
How do I get started?
To get your EHESS account set up, all you have to do is return the EHESS Agreement, together with some additional details. Follow our step-by-step guide below:
1. Download and print the Agreement, sign it and email a scanned copy to email@example.com
2. In your covering correspondence, please indicate to CLA:
- Your existing British Library account number (if applicable)
- If you would like to pay monthly, or pay in advance. If paying in advance, indicate the sum to be deposited. Please note the minimum payment is £150.00 + VAT.
3. Please note:
- If you currently have a deposit with the British Library, please contact them to discuss a possible refund. Deposits with the British Library cannot be used against your EHESS purchases.
- If you order your content (CFP or outsourced scanning) via a third party such as the Digital Content Store, you will need to alert that third party of your change to EHESS.
Once we have received your returned agreement, we will be in touch with your account and log in details.
If you want to know more about what EHESS is and how it works, have a look at our FAQs.
Get in touch
If you have any queries relating to setting up your account you can call us on 020 7400 3171
Or if you just want to know more about the service and how it works then contact us