The only licence that covers you to share externally – to your public facing sites and feeds for instance – is the CWRL. All other licences and add-ons cover internal copying.
You will be asked about your copying needs when you set up your licence(s), and also at each annual renewal. Outside of this, you will not need to report usage. If you are subscribed to an Media Monitoring Service (MMS), then the MMS will report usage and user numbers to CLA each year, and these will be used to calculate your renewal.
When you sign up to an MMS to receive clippings and links, that is covering the delivery service. In order to access the content delivered, and share it more widely, an NLA Licence is required.
Both print and digital formats are covered, so you can photocopy and scan but also copy and paste or screengrab from opted in titles.
The licences and add-ons are designed to make licensing flexible and bespoke for your needs. Depending on the kind of activity your institution/organisation wants to do, you can opt for different combinations of cover.
We have been NLA’s agent in the Education sector since 2013. This is to streamline your licensing, so that you have once point of contact, get one invoice, and can use our site as one source of advice. The NLA Licence still sits with NLA Media Access however, and the Ts & Cs and prices are set by NLA.